Varcare la Soglia
As a consequence of the Covid-19 pandemic and the economic and social crisis, the risks of school leaving and school drop-outs are increasing and threatening to crystallise. Already today, alarming data are recorded: about 12 percent of minors don’t reach high school graduation and the percentage of NEETs (young people who don’t work, study, or are not included in educational paths) reaches 23 percent, the highest in Europe (Save the Children, 2022).
In addition to the need to provide pathways to study, educational enhancement and introductions to arts and crafts that compensate for the educational poverty of the youngest, it is crucial to act on several factors that affect the poverty of the entire household, also investing in nutrition education, which is a fundamental building block for the development of young and old alike.
It was with these purposes that Varcare la Soglia, the program of Fondazione L'Albero della Vita, was launched in 2014, now extended with 'CostellAzioni' in the cities of Milan, Genoa, Perugia, Catanzaro, Naples and Palermo, reaching a total of 1.340 minors and 120 families with activities ranging from economic and food support to educational support with the ultimate goal of combating economic, social and educational poverty.
Concrete support and parenting support for families and socio-educational activities combined with orientation, training and job placement paths dedicated to the youngest to develop transversal skills supported by experienced educators.
Our support contributes to the following initiatives in Naples, Ponticelli neighborhood and Palermo Zen2 neighborhood:
- ImpariAmo workshops where 160 children between the ages of 6 and 13 will receive extracurricular educational support
- Citizen Science workshops involving 320 children between the ages of 6 and 13 to raise awareness of environmental education issues important for their future
- Area principals for 400 children aged 14 to 17 to support them in the round and offer them a safe and recreational place to play sports
- Monthly spending vouchers, a food education path and parenting support for 40 families in vulnerable situations
- Only in Palermo, the Laboratories of Knowledge where 100 children between the ages of 14 and 17 will be able to learn about tradition and territorial culture by experiencing craft activities related to ancient trades in a building expropriated from the mafias
In the cities of Perugia and Catanzaro, on the other hand, the project will settle with the main activities of family support through Spending Vouchers and educational and workshop paths of educational recovery and reinforcement for 200 children between the ages of 6 and 13.
Many different and transversal actions guided by an extremely innovative and integrated approach because it is based on taking charge of the entire family unit with different focuses: the adult in its individuality; the child; the adult-child relationship; and the community in which the entire family lives.
Location: Naples, Palermo, Perugia, Catanzaro
Association: The Tree of Life Foundation
Intended beneficiaries: Families and young people
Contribution: up to 450,000.00 euros